The song serves as a intro for the album. It was written and recorded with a laptop by Amy Lee herself in a hotel room on tour in 2019. She originally intended to properly rerecord it, but producer Nick Raskulinecz encouraged her to keep the original recording. He told her, "'You know, [the song]'s got all those weird stuff in it, all those little artifacts - that's a audio term - just stuff that happens because of the weird microphone and just the whole situation you were in. I don't know, how are you gonna recapture that? How are you gonna recapture that pure moment?'".
“I see the beginning of the album as starting from a Ground Zero place after a tragedy, and then, when the guitars come in, for me, that’s getting back up.”
- Amy Lee - vocals, synths, programming, recording engineer
- Scott Kirkland - programming production, songwriting on "The Turn"
- Nick Raskulinecz - production, mixing
- Ted Jensen - mastering engineer
- "I need to face the abyss head on", Evanescence's Bitter Truth laid bare". March 10, 2021. Kerrang!.
- "The Tragedies That Inspired Evanescence's 'The Bitter Truth'". Loudwire. May 10, 2021.
- The Bitter Truth (2021), liner notes.