The song was written and conceived by Amy Lee and Jen Majura in 2019. It's about the pain and beauty of survival, the wisdom bred from suffering, the grace that can be found in the acceptance of what is.
“We were in Canada on a writing camp trip out in the woods in 2019,” recalls Amy, before noting how the hunter-gatherer duties in the band were split. “The men went to go get music stuff that we forgot, like a snare stand and whatever else, and the women went to the grocery store (laughs). On the way back, we were just showing each other ideas in the car on our phones, little pre-recorded demos and stuff. Jen had this really cool idea that turned into that chugging verse music. I just started rewinding it and singing on it over and over.
I see Broken Pieces Shine as an anthem for us and our fans From the beginning, I visualised us onstage in that ‘together moment’. It’s about letting yourself fall apart, letting those flaws become the things that we not only accept about ourselves, but also embrace. To be your true self rather than holding it in is truly freeing. We have things about us that we may see as flaws, but just change your perspective a little bit – our flaws can be our superpowers. That’s what makes us different. That’s what makes us unique.”
The song was heard for the first time in Amy Lee's CBS This Morning interview in August 2020 when it showed her sitting in front of a computer in her home studio.
The Bitter Truth Evolution Demo
- The song opens with a sample of the Apollo 11 launch countdown, the spaceflight that first landed humans on the Moon in 1969.
- The Bitter Truth Evolution cassette tape from the album's deluxe box set contains an early demo of the song with alternate lyrics.
- Amy Lee - vocals, piano, additional programming, songwriting
- Troy McLawhorn - guitar, songwriting
- Jen Majura - guitar, songwriting
- Tim McCord - bass guitar, songwriting
- Will Hunt - drums, songwriting
- Tiago Nunez - programming
- Nick Raskulinecz - production, mixing
- Ted Jensen - mastering engineer