The working title for this song was "Pickle Mustard", being one of the last songs Amy Lee finished lyrics to for the album. She finished them on September 12, 2020 and announced it via a Instagram story. She confirmed it was "Part of Me" by replying to a fan on Twitter asking which song was under the forementioned title:
"Hint: it kept its initials (excluding articles and prepositions)"
The song details Amy Lee's move from grief to re-embracing the magic of life.
"The more losses that we face, the more difficult it is to still have that abandon, to have that freedom and that childlike hope. And it's always a fight to come back to it and go, 'No, I'm not gonna let it go.' Just like in Part of Me, don't let that sweet dream die, I'm not gonna give up. That song is about that. I'm not gonna stay down. I'm still gonna have the belief in the magic. I really have to keep choosing that. It's hard, you have to talk about the struggle of that. I do to be honest. It's always been a struggle. When you have a fresh loss, it's hard again and you kind of become fragile, like standing in the doorway and like you're afraid to believe, you're afraid to get your heart broken again when you get hurt."
Amy said the song is "in a lot of ways" about her relationship with Evanescence's music and fans, and the "Drown me in your blinding light" line is about standing in the stage.
- Amy Lee - songwriting, lyricist, vocals, keyboards, piano
- Troy McLawhorn - guitar, songwriting
- Jen Majura - guitar, songwriting
- Tim McCord - bass guitar, songwriting
- Will Hunt - drums, songwriting
- Tiago Nunez - programming
- David Campbell - strings arrangement
- Alan Umstead - strings conductor
- Nashville Music Scoring Orchestra - strings
- Nick Spezia - strings engineer
- Nick Raskulinecz - production, mixing
- Ted Jensen - mastering engineer
- Garner, George (September 2020). "Evanescence: Why Amy Lee Is Done Being Silent". Kerrang!.
- See Amy's Instagram story here. "So I decorated this pickle to celebrate. Now I'm throwing it away because it smells really strong and it's grossing me out."
- Lee, Amy (December 5, 2020). "Hint: it kept its initials". Twitter.
- Garner, George (March 10, 2021) ""I needed to face the abyss head on": Evanescence's Bitter Truth laid bare". Kerrang!.
- The Record Club's interview with Evanescence (April 14, 2021)