"The Game is Over" is a song on Evanescence's fifth album, The Bitter Truth. It was registered on ASCAP in early June 2020. It's the second single off the album, released on July 1, 2020. It's the third track on the album.
Background[edit | edit source]
The song was written by all band members except Jen Majura. Amy Lee described the track as "a protest against the facades we are pressured to put on by society. In the face of depression and anxiety - and especially in a world that seems to crumble further each day - it’s a cry to end the charade that everything’s fine." She also added:
This song is about being sick of the facade. The disguises we wear for others to make them feel comfortable, the inside feelings being so different than what we show on the outside to fit within the boundaries of what’s socially acceptable, or what’s not going to make you unpleasant or too ‘weird’ to be around.
“The Game is Over” is a promise to myself and out loud that I’m going to be more of my real, inner self on the outside–not lock her up because she can’t be contained anymore. It’s also a prayer to become better, to not feel so messed up, locked up, and hurt inside.
A 34-second demo was included on The Bitter Truth Evolution cassette from the album's deluxe fan box set.
Music video[edit | edit source]
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
- Amy Lee - songwriting, lyricist, vocals, additional programming
- Tim McCord - songwriting, bass
- Troy McLawhorn - songwriting, guitar
- Will Hunt - songwriting, drums
- Will Science - additional programming
- Tiago Nunez - programming
- Nick Raskulinecz - production, mixing (at Rock Falcon Studio)
- Nathan Yarborough - recording engineer
- Logan Greeson - assistant recording engineer
- Ted Jensen - mastering engineer
References[edit | edit source]
- "The Game is Over (Legal Title)". ASCAP.
- "THE GAME IS OVER 7.01.20.". June 26, 2020. Twitter.
- "Evanescence Rock It Up With New Song 'The Game Is Over'". Loudwire. July 1, 2020.
- Amy said it during the Zoom call.
- From the video premiere live chat: "We all wrote the bridge together. And no, this is not an old one from the pile. This was the first song we wrote for this album when we got together last year and set out to write."