"Wasted On You" is a song recorded by Evanescence for their fifth album, The Bitter Truth. It was released as the first song and single from the album on April 24, 2020. It's the sixth track on the album.
Background[edit | edit source]
This is one of the first four songs the band worked on with Nick Raskulinecz in early 2020, along with the first three songs released prior to the album's release.
“‘Wasted On You’ wasn’t the song we were planning to release first, but when the whole world went into indefinite lockdown and everything changed, so did the feeling and meaning of what we wanted to say right now. I didn’t write these lyrics about what we’re all now going through, but somehow that’s exactly what they are.” “We were recording this music right up until we couldn’t go into the studio anymore, and finished it remotely through file sharing and phone calls,” Lee begins. “Tweaking mixes, adding background vocals, creating the video and album art all from home has been like water in the desert for me, my light in a dark time.”
Amy said the song was written on New Year's Eve and wasn't written about the COVID-19 pandemic:
I started writing it on New Year’s Eve. So it’s really recent. It’s definitely completely different for us to write something so recently and be able to have the gratification of releasing it so shortly afterwards – we weren’t expecting that. The band came in and really made it what it is when we were together. With the song we were planning on doing first – and I can’t describe it, I don’t want to give it away – it’s powerful in a different way. Over the past couple of months, it’s really felt like every day is a new situation a lot of the time. Like, ‘OK, what’s the emergency today? Where are we going? How long will this last? What is this feeling?’
Music video[edit | edit source]
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
- Amy Lee - songwriting, vocals, additional programming
- Will "Science" Hunt - additional programming
- Tiago Nunez - programming
- Nick Raskulinecz - production, engineering, mixing
- Ted Jensen - mastering engineer
References[edit | edit source]
- "WASTED ON YOU This Friday 4.24.20". Twitter. April 20, 2020.
- HEAR EVANESCENCE MAKE THEIR TRIUMPHANT RETURN WITH “WASTED ON YOU”. AltPress.
- Garner, George (May 7, 2020). "Amy Lee on Evanescence's first new studio album in 9 years and the one thing the music business really needs to remember". Music Week.